A Fiery Twist on the Classic - Spicy Ropa Vieja
If you're a fan of Cuban cuisine and spicy food, our Spicy Ropa Vieja is a culinary journey you won't want to miss. This recipe takes the traditional Ropa Vieja, an iconic Cuban dish, and turns up the heat with the addition of Bárbaro Mojo's El Havanero hot sauce.
So, why make your Ropa Vieja spicy? Firstly, the heat from the habanero peppers in our El Havanero sauce adds an extra layer of complexity to the rich flavors of the slow-cooked beef and the tangy tomato sauce. It not only intensifies the overall flavor but also enhances the individual notes of the dish. Secondly, spiciness has been linked to various health benefits, including improved metabolism and heart health. Plus, if you're a heat seeker, adding that extra kick to your Ropa Vieja will make this savory dish all the more satisfying.
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons Bárbaro Mojo's El Havanero hot sauce, adjusted to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flank steak and cook until browned on both sides.
- Transfer the browned steak to a slow cooker.
- Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, olive oil, vinegar, and Bárbaro Mojo's El Havanero hot sauce into the slow cooker. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for up to 10 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- After the cooking time, the steak should be tender and easily shredded with two forks.
- Shred the steak inside the slow cooker and mix it with the sauce.
Serve your Spicy Ropa Vieja with a side of white rice and black beans for a complete Cuban meal that's packed with flavor and heat. Enjoy the fiery twist on this classic dish!